Here I am, eating my own brain juice. Pray tell: when exactly did Timberland boots get so attractive?
Boy, do I excel at awkward wording.
Lipstick aside, red has never really been a colour of choice. I have spent a ruling number of years with rosy cheeks and ginger curls, meaning red often felt like overkill.
This season? With this blonde? And this satchel? I can’t be kept away.
– The Vivienne Westwood Mini Cocotte Dress is probably the sexiest dress in the world (we’re talking classy sexy, not ‘naked dress’ sexy). An investment piece, for sure – but don’t you deserve a Christmas present, too?
– Carven’s waist-tied printed silk dress is luxurious, comfortable, and features a perfectly autumnal print.
– Combining a number of trends (and getting away with it), River Island’s printed dress is the kind of garment you can wear with a simple pair of simple heels and still steal the show.
– Pair the Liliana Black Cross boots with a slinky LDB and knock ‘em dead.
– These Menbur bow pumps are are definitive show stoppers for holiday parties and beyond.
– Want something even sparklier? Now is the time to whip out the bigguns. these platforms from Aldo are a prime example.
The Party Dress Alternative:
The holidays flood most retail stores with ‘party looks’ and, naturally, most shoppers follow suit. Despite my inclination towards shiny things and dresses, I get a bit of a nauseous sensation when I come across a group of skimpy sequinned sistas. For those wanting to break the mould, look towards designers like JW Anderson; mix-matched textures, rich colours, and a cosy take on couture.
The Mince Pie Concealers:
One of my fittest female friends spends quite a bit of money on quality ‘mince pie concealers’ at this time of year. She also ends up, regardless of the number of ‘shapewear’ brands she trials, singing the praises of Spanx. From their Boostie-Yay Corset (perfect for bodycon dresses) to their Uptown Blackout Tights (why not kill two birds with one stone?) to the Slimmer & Shine open bust bodysuit (which is both a box-ticker and incredibly sensual to the touch – my personal favourite), there is a solution for everyone.
The answer to all your post-party woes, my friends, is Fitflop. For Londoners in particular, heels never seem to look as haute when you have a twenty minute walk ahead of you. Pack a pair of FF2 ballerinas in your handbag and you’re golden. Literally. The new design is all the same pressure-diffusing technology covered in a metallic, leather-lined case. All while being feather light. You’ll thank me later.
I have, however, found compromise in Boden. Their dresses are gloriously retro, well made, statement making, and easy to pack – all in one. With less than 48 hours to get from wedding, to business meetings, to Halloween parties, and more, Boden became my saving grace.
I’m not even going to feign the idea of a theme with this playlist. I’ve been travelling like crazy over the past month and simply found a new favourite song every day…
…well, at least on the days I could get Shake It Off out of my head.
(Need to catch up on last month’s? Click here for October’s free Spotify playlist.)
(Download Spotify here. It’s free!)
All About That Bass by Meghan Trainor
Fun by Troye Sivan
24 Karat Gold by Stevie Nicks
Good Morning Heartache by Jamie Cullum
Don’t Kill the Magic by Magic!
My Own Summer [Shove it] by Deftones
Romanticise by Chela
Okay by Holy Ghost
She Came to Give it to You by Usher and Nicki Minaj
Class Historian by BRONCHO
This is the Last Time by Stars
I’m Not The Only One by Sam Smith
Bang Bang by Jessie J, Ariana Grande, and Nicki Minaj
Land of Opportunity by A Great Big World
GET UP by Young Fathers