For about one week, The Manfriend and I have been living in what finally feels like a permanent residence. To recap, in the past 365 days I have moved from a bedroom rental, to Manfriend’s bedroom rental, to a few hotels, to an entire floor of a Thailand apartment building, to Manfriend’s mom’s house, to a flat above the great British high street. 365 days. Now, we’ve found our way into having our names legally attached to a house.
A cozy house, a “home“, with our own, separate offices and a room for our babies (WHO COME HOME FROM QUARANTINE IN NINE DAYS!!). As it is a rental, we can’t jam any (new) holes into the wall, paint, or knock any walls out, but we are beyond ready to invest in some great pieces to decorate.
As my organisation techniques are spurred by visual aides, I have created a mini “Interior Design” photo bomb to share some of my ideas and inspiration with you, thus far. Manfriend and I have quite similar aesthetic attitudes (which is a blessing, let’s be real); clean lines, shots of colour in neutral tones, lots of texture, quirky pieces of furniture, and non-traditional art. We’ve also agreed that it’s about time we invest in some luxury bedroom furniture.
…it’s going to be an extraordinarily fun creative process, I think. One with some very tight purse strings, and a lot of innovation to be called upon!
Oh, goodness…it’s November?!
- Today, Tatiana Santo Domingo and soul sister Dana Alikhani launched Muzungu Sisters. The store (named after “Muzungu” which means “wanderer” in Swahili), is a a new online shop that offers clothing which is both handcrafted and ethically sourced. In celebration, the designer-free duo have opened a pop-up shop at Momo (in London):
“We wanted to create an interactive portal that would bring together fair trade suppliers from all over the world.”
– Dana Alikhani
- The winner of Project Runway Season Nine, Anya Ayoung-Chee, was recently interviewed by Racked, and had some adorable things to say about her competition:
Racked: Taking into account all of the collections, not just the final collections but the decoy ones as well, who do you think should have won, if it wasn’t you?
Anya: Oh I definitely think Laura. I think her collection was extremely strong and the best work that I’ve seen her do. I think she was very smart to put out a very strong collection even though she wasn’t in the top four. I’m very proud of her. I loved it.
- Did you know Macy’s Herald Square flagship is the largest store in the world? (No? Now, you do!) Even so, they sure aren’t going to let that title be threatened thanks to a four-year renovation worth over $400 million.How much bigger can it get? 100,000 square feet bigger! After the renovations, Macy’s will boast a total of 1.2 million square feet, as well as digital product information, interactive directories, a mobile shopping app, streaming live videos of Macy’s events AND the largest shoe department in the world.
- Azzedine Alaïa recently spoke with Dirk Standen about his views on fast fashion. Considering many designers consider mass retailers to destroy the integrity on their hard work (aka copy it cheaply and unethically), his thoughts were quite a shock.After admitting that he shops at both H&M and Zara for his cousins and nieces, she simply justified his choice by saying “..listen, everyone copies”. Quelle honesty!
- CALORIE FREE GIRL SCOUT COOKIES! Kind of. Thin Mint and Trefoil addicts, form a queue; Lip Smacker has teamed up with the Girl Scouts of the USA to launch Girl Scout Cookie Lip Smackers!No more waiting for the Girl Scouts (though hey, give them your pesos!) to come around, as you will be able to enjoy Thin Mints, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Trefoils, Peanut Butter, and Coconut Caramel Stripes flavours year-round after their official 2012 launch.
- It’s official! Now that the super-tall superbeauty is 18, Karlie Kloss will be walking in this year’s Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show! Casting director John Pfeiffer said he had high hopes for Karlie to walk this year, but it wasn’t announced until….well, about a minute ago! Congratulatious, Karlie! One week to go!
In reflection, the Fall 2011 Couture
collections weren’t up to standard. While I adored Elie Saab
– as always – the rest of the shows seemed to be missing the usual magic
that couture fashion delivers.
A Top 10, however, will always show the best of the rest.
Two gorgeous Leighton Meester looks in one post; how lucky are you? Firstly we have her at the People’s Choice Awards yesterday wearing a Vionnet floral embroidered dress from their Spring/Summer 2011 line, with some go-to Brian Atwood pumps.
On the 4th of January, Meester was ice skating-slash-fulfilling her role as global ambassador for Herbal Essences while working her position as the new face of Missoni. She wore a printed dress with matching jacket by Missoni (obviously), plus her favorite Azzedine Alaïa lace-up ankle boots and a Proenza Schouler PS1 Keep All bag. In the accessory department, we’re spotting a Cathy Waterman yellow-gold and diamond Love ring, and two Bulgari rings, one of which benefits Save the Children (another sponsor of the event). Busy fashion for a busy starlet.