During LFW Spring/Summer 2012, temporary lip tattoos dominated as a street style beauty trend – cheetah prints, stripes, and ombre styles galore. While lip tattoos are certainly nothing new, they are moving towards the mainstream and today was the first day I tried my hand at them.
I learned a few things:
- Even if the pack recommends you cut the design to the shape of your lips, don’t. It is easier to clean up ‘extra lip’ than it is to get the design to spread to other areas (see below!)
- Let the water SOAK on the non-product side of the lip applique. If you remove it too early, there is no way to achieve your desired look besides starting with a new pack.
- To clean up edges, dip a Q-tip in baby oil and apply to edges/excess product.
- If you avoid extra lip products and greasy food, these suckers don’t move. All day. I am confident they are the longest lasting “lipstick” around, next to permanent cosmetic make-up.
The lip tattoos above (L-R): Violent Lips silver glitter, Union Jack “Passion” lips, and Stargazer – “pink dots sexy pout”.
The geniuses over at Lush have finally answered all the addict’s wishes. They’re releasing a make-up line. SQUEE! (…and back to business.)
The range, Emotional Brilliance, is comprised of 30 vegan colour products and is tailored to your personality and psyche. How?
Via “The Emotional Brilliance Colour Wheel” (pictured below), each customer will undergo a personalised colour reading. The wheel will also be available on the Lush website and on an app. To get your reading, you will choose three colours that stand out to you. Each colour has been linked to a word or trait (thanks to a lot of research at Lush HQ) and will reveal your current state of mind.
Colour One (mine was Calm): The colour that represents your current strength or weakness. The trait that should be on your mind.
Colour Two (mine was Ambition): The colour that resonates with your subconcious need – what your subconcious desires the most. You should wear this colour to remind yourself of your goals.
Colour Three (mine was Charm): The colour that represents your talent – the thing that will drive your subconscious needs.
The lip colours, eyeliners, and eyeshadows can be worn for their intended purpose, or even dotted on your wrist to act as an empowering reminder throughout the day.
In addition to the Colour Wheel, Lush will introduce Eyes Right Mascara, Translucent Face Powder, the Feeling Younger Skin Tint (works as a highlighter), and Charisma Skin Tint (works as a glow/subtle contour).
After trying out the products for the photo above, I can promise this line is going to become a cult favourite.
- The skin tints highlighted and contoured my skin in the most beautiful, subtle way. Feeling Younger is especially pretty around the eyes.
- The red lipstick, Ambition, has a long-wearing gloss appeal. Even after drinking, it wore down into a pretty red stain.
- The blue eyeliner, Calm, is incredibly easy to apply and blended well on my hands. It would be a fantastic base colour for eyeshadows.
- The pink blush, Charm, is actually a lipstick. With just one dot on each cheek, it blended out into a comfortable and doll-like flush of colour.
- The mascara, Eyes Right, could not clump if you tried. I had low hopes for this product as most natural mascaras that I have tested never do anything special. This baby, however, lengthened and defined my eyelashes like a high-end and chemical-filled tube. Incredible results.
BOOM. It’s here. The project that has been in months of months of development…She Said Beauty – the Ultimate Beauty Discovery Box. I have been honoured as the Editor of the beauty blog and general online “voice” of the brand.
Keep in mind, this is only Step One of She Said Beauty and, in fact, you will be blown away by both the quality and quantity of changes that are coming in the next six months. My lips are sealed in regards to the whats and whens, but I can let you know that along with a Facebook-esque integration to the site, the blog will be transitioning into magazine territory, with the Beauty Director of Elle – Emma Strenner – and some incredible writers and bloggers already on board.
I love my team, and I am so proud of what we have already accomplished in just a week of business.
CLICK HERE TO TAKE A LOOK AROUND!
(Note: Take a look at my first Editor’s Letter, Zooey Deschanel makeup tutorial, and “Make-up For Me” for a content taster. You will love our ‘real girl’ face of the day Street Beauty on Tumblr, and should definitely follow us on Twitter and Facebook for insider updates!)
Big announcement with little press: fashion favourite Lauren Conrad has been ‘guest editing’ Allure‘s Facebook page this week and recently updated with “My new beauty site is launching right now!”
We all raised an eyebrow. New beauty site? Well, it’s here! The Beauty Department – a collaboration with hair stylist Kristen Ess and makeup artist Amy Nadine – is a beauty blog with tips, trends and more. Though it’s a baby for now, it’s set to be a guilty pleasure for both those who watched her grow up on TV, and the online mass of pretty people looking towards the beauty future. Good luck, LC!