There is a strange ritual many Londoners adopt wherein Bank Holidays become an excuse to leave the city.
My thoughts? That’s just more city space for me!
Rather than fleeing, I invited one of my best lady friends – Jen – down from Leeds to spend the weekend exploring Regent Street with me.
Read on for an intimate introduction to The Langham, Aubaine, The ICE Bar, Momo, Crazy Coqs at Brasserie Zedel, tibits, Margaret Dabbs at Liberty, Ristorante Frescobaldi, and more. This is ‘a day in the life’ times two, dear readers: image-heavy is an understatement.
Just over a week ago I sidled my way into Liberty London‘s super secret Queen Mary Room (as in, she actually used to use the room to try her jewels on) for a revitalising Red Carpet Facial with QMS.
If the room alone doesn’t have one feeling like a royal, the treatment is set to do so. QMS Medicosmetics is – as the name suggests – medical grade skincare. With all products based on research-led and collagen-enhancing technology, the facial itself is as regenerative as it is luxurious.
Or, at least from what I remember before being cleansed, exfoliated, and masked into a deep, deep sleep. Gentle enough to keep me kipping but strong enough to give me the glow of J Lo, this one-hour treatment is now a must-do for every trip I make back to my hometown.
It is worth mentioning that leaving with a few samples has burnt quite the hole in my pocket. I have since fallen in lust with QMS’ Sport Active Cream. Though I practically choked on the £66 price tag, I think I am going to have to bite the bullet; it is a legitimately perfect tinted moisturiser. Go try, go try!
As someone who relies heavily on a smartphone for life and work, I have never made a great choice when it comes to picking the right one. While my service provider has never let me down (a rare thing, going by friends’ experiences), my should-be handheld assistant has been more problematic than helpful
Until the Samsung Galaxy S4.
When invited to Liberty London to explore the latest advances of the Android King with superstar stylist Grace Woodward, I was assured that a life of failing phones and useless apps (#berryproblems) was behind me. Naturally, the Galaxy S4 has become something of an obsession.
While Grace and I chillaxed under a rather chic gold palm tree, we set out to get to know the S4’s most useful features:
• Air Gesture – See that ridiculous gif below? That is us trying to develop a signature Air Gesture. Technology that allows you to scroll through images, music, web pages, and even answer calls without having to touch the screen (handy for hop-out-of-the-shower calls, I’ve learned!).
• Sound & Shot – A stylist’s dream. Alongside a photo, the Sound & Shot feature records a few seconds of audio and keeps them together. For press days and fashion shows, this feature means shoot ideas can be organised faster than ever before.
• Dual Camera – You can take simultaneous photos and videos using both the rear and front cameras, then blend the pictures together. The idea of using this for future travels is beyond exciting (front/rear view from the Eiffel tower, anyone?)
• S Translator – Speaking of travel, the S Translator is a seamless app that provides instant translation, using text or voice translation on applications including email, text message and ChatON.
• Samsung Smart Pause – I think they’ve used some gypsy magic on this one. You can literally control the screen using your eyes. As well as scrolling down a page when your eyes look from line to line, when you are watching a video the video will pause when you look away, then starts up again when you look back.
• S Health software – All those annoying fitness apps stripped down and done right. It even has a function to track blood glucose (as a Type 1 diabetic, this is a very welcome addition!)
It seems a little cookie cutter to say, but I truly believe this phone is making my life easier. 100% recommended.
Instagram (@lelalondon) – left to right, top to bottom:
1. Guess where I am…
2. Not yo’ momma’s Crocs.
3. Morning, beauties! Sleepyfaced and off to a very colourful shoot.
4. Officially the most ridiculous plate of food I have ever ingested.
5. Man art.
6. The rather exceptional looking Clothes Horse and Bunnipunch.
7. Just chillin’ out maxin’ with my main man Hedwig.
8. Cocktail magic.
9. Food for Thought: Have you checked out the mindblowing Wabi yet?
10. Love my city, man.
11. The strawberry attack that broke the camel’s back.
12. Chatting fashion and tech with the beautiful Grace Woodward at Liberty London.
Every November since I was about seven years old, I have created an elaborate Christmas wish list. To be honest, it is probably one of my favourite ‘Christmas activities’, even if I don’t get a single item off of it!
What is on your list this year?
1. Mazal Diamond / Micro-Set Diamond Circle Ring in 18k Gold
2. Agent Provocateur / Classic Corset
3. M&Co / Tan leather jacket
4. LN-CC / Maison Martin Margiela 22 Ruched Trunk Boots
5. MyTights / The best tights in the world
6. Urban Outfitters / Fujifilm Instax Wide 210 Camera & Film Set
7. Urban Outfitters / Two-Shelf Jewellery Box
8. Urban Outfitters / Deer Collage Canvas
9. Liberty London / Taschen Fashion 2012 Desk Diary
10. Selfridges / Apple iPad 2 with Wi-Fi + 3G 32GB white
11. Selfridges / Clarisonic Mia Sonic Skin Cleansing System
12. Selfridges / Mulberry Taylor oversized satchel matte in Deer Brown (or a bright colour!)
13. Selfridges / Laqa & Co nail polish pen in Birthday Suit
14. A kickass lens that works with the Canon 550D and lets me take photos like this / Not pictured.
15. A donation to someone who really needs it / Not pictured.