- Today, Tatiana Santo Domingo and soul sister Dana Alikhani launched Muzungu Sisters. The store (named after “Muzungu” which means “wanderer” in Swahili), is a a new online shop that offers clothing which is both handcrafted and ethically sourced. In celebration, the designer-free duo have opened a pop-up shop at Momo (in London):
“We wanted to create an interactive portal that would bring together fair trade suppliers from all over the world.”
– Dana Alikhani
- The winner of Project Runway Season Nine, Anya Ayoung-Chee, was recently interviewed by Racked, and had some adorable things to say about her competition:
Racked: Taking into account all of the collections, not just the final collections but the decoy ones as well, who do you think should have won, if it wasn’t you?
Anya: Oh I definitely think Laura. I think her collection was extremely strong and the best work that I’ve seen her do. I think she was very smart to put out a very strong collection even though she wasn’t in the top four. I’m very proud of her. I loved it.
- Did you know Macy’s Herald Square flagship is the largest store in the world? (No? Now, you do!) Even so, they sure aren’t going to let that title be threatened thanks to a four-year renovation worth over $400 million.How much bigger can it get? 100,000 square feet bigger! After the renovations, Macy’s will boast a total of 1.2 million square feet, as well as digital product information, interactive directories, a mobile shopping app, streaming live videos of Macy’s events AND the largest shoe department in the world.
- Azzedine Alaïa recently spoke with Dirk Standen about his views on fast fashion. Considering many designers consider mass retailers to destroy the integrity on their hard work (aka copy it cheaply and unethically), his thoughts were quite a shock.After admitting that he shops at both H&M and Zara for his cousins and nieces, she simply justified his choice by saying “..listen, everyone copies”. Quelle honesty!
- CALORIE FREE GIRL SCOUT COOKIES! Kind of. Thin Mint and Trefoil addicts, form a queue; Lip Smacker has teamed up with the Girl Scouts of the USA to launch Girl Scout Cookie Lip Smackers!No more waiting for the Girl Scouts (though hey, give them your pesos!) to come around, as you will be able to enjoy Thin Mints, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Trefoils, Peanut Butter, and Coconut Caramel Stripes flavours year-round after their official 2012 launch.
- It’s official! Now that the super-tall superbeauty is 18, Karlie Kloss will be walking in this year’s Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show! Casting director John Pfeiffer said he had high hopes for Karlie to walk this year, but it wasn’t announced until….well, about a minute ago! Congratulatious, Karlie! One week to go!
With designer collaborations gaining real traction over the past few years, big, unexpected names like Alber Elbaz and Karl Lagerfeld have jumped on the bandwagon and caused major hysteria in their chosen high street retailers.
The latest (and greatest, in my opinion)? Giambattista Valli for Macy’s. What I love about this collection is the incredibly cohesive runway inspiration – if the tag was cut off, many of the pieces would fool even the most tuned-in label lover.
The collection, from “Impulse“, is heavy in leopard print and cocktail dresses. While leopard may not scream chic appeal for all of us, he created a printed day coat and matching tuxedo pants that I believe could woo the most selective shoppers.
The collection is priced between $50 and $150 and will be available in stores and online starting October 26th. Check out my must-haves in the gallery below!
“This capsule reflects my enduring loves, but is really a celebration of my biggest inspiration of all ‐ the energy and vitality of women themselves. I love dressing them for all their happiest moments, making them feel as special as possible. This collection is a passport into my world and a chance to experience the passion and romance of my house and Paris itself.”
With a campaign full of Coco Rocha goodness – shot in Lagerfeld’s library in Paris – the 45 piece collection (priced between $50 and $170) is sure to fly off the racks. Karl said:
“To me Macy’s is the perfect department store in the US where everybody can find what they’re looking for without ruining their budget.”
With that said, when it comes to designer collaborations, we can’t all afford to buy one of everything, can we? For that reason, I have curated a list of the ten best pieces from the collections – the ones that scream “Chanel”.
1. Dress, $124.
2. Blush dress, $99.
3. Ruffled dress, $119.
4. Collared dress, $139.
5. Brown jacket, $119.
6. Scarf, $49.
7. Leather short, $79.
8. Tweed dress, $129 (top pick!)
9. Belted tweed jacket, $169.
10. White blouse, $99.
The collection goes on sale at 235 Macy’s across America and on macys.com on August 31.
Karl Lagerfeld is doing “masstige”. It has been confirmed (after many rumours) that Macy’s is launching a new initiative that will rotate one-off designer capsule collections every two months, starting late next year. Monsieur Lagerfeld is taking part in the collaboration which is something he hasn’t done in over six years, and demonstrates his determination to branch into the world of lower price points.
Macy’s CEO Terry Lundgren said “Karl Lagerfeld holds a unique place in the world of fashion, an icon who is the ultimate modernist. Through the decades, his style and vision have marked the history of design. It is a tremendous honor to bring his inimitable perspective to our fashion customer.”