- Today, Tatiana Santo Domingo and soul sister Dana Alikhani launched Muzungu Sisters. The store (named after “Muzungu” which means “wanderer” in Swahili), is a a new online shop that offers clothing which is both handcrafted and ethically sourced. In celebration, the designer-free duo have opened a pop-up shop at Momo (in London):
“We wanted to create an interactive portal that would bring together fair trade suppliers from all over the world.”
– Dana Alikhani
- The winner of Project Runway Season Nine, Anya Ayoung-Chee, was recently interviewed by Racked, and had some adorable things to say about her competition:
Racked: Taking into account all of the collections, not just the final collections but the decoy ones as well, who do you think should have won, if it wasn’t you?
Anya: Oh I definitely think Laura. I think her collection was extremely strong and the best work that I’ve seen her do. I think she was very smart to put out a very strong collection even though she wasn’t in the top four. I’m very proud of her. I loved it.
- Did you know Macy’s Herald Square flagship is the largest store in the world? (No? Now, you do!) Even so, they sure aren’t going to let that title be threatened thanks to a four-year renovation worth over $400 million.How much bigger can it get? 100,000 square feet bigger! After the renovations, Macy’s will boast a total of 1.2 million square feet, as well as digital product information, interactive directories, a mobile shopping app, streaming live videos of Macy’s events AND the largest shoe department in the world.
- Azzedine Alaïa recently spoke with Dirk Standen about his views on fast fashion. Considering many designers consider mass retailers to destroy the integrity on their hard work (aka copy it cheaply and unethically), his thoughts were quite a shock.After admitting that he shops at both H&M and Zara for his cousins and nieces, she simply justified his choice by saying “..listen, everyone copies”. Quelle honesty!
- CALORIE FREE GIRL SCOUT COOKIES! Kind of. Thin Mint and Trefoil addicts, form a queue; Lip Smacker has teamed up with the Girl Scouts of the USA to launch Girl Scout Cookie Lip Smackers!No more waiting for the Girl Scouts (though hey, give them your pesos!) to come around, as you will be able to enjoy Thin Mints, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Trefoils, Peanut Butter, and Coconut Caramel Stripes flavours year-round after their official 2012 launch.
- It’s official! Now that the super-tall superbeauty is 18, Karlie Kloss will be walking in this year’s Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show! Casting director John Pfeiffer said he had high hopes for Karlie to walk this year, but it wasn’t announced until….well, about a minute ago! Congratulatious, Karlie! One week to go!
10 pesos if you can guess who Leighton Meester is wearing here? The folks at Vogue Italia got a sneak peak into the new Missoni Spring/Summer 2011 campaign – and now you can, too! The all-important image in the series inspired by the cover of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band is of Miss Meester, though the campaign also features a bevy of creative society types ie. Eugenie Niarchos, Lissy von Thurn und Taxis, Tatiana Santo Domingo and Jaquetta Wheeler. Check out the accompanying video below, also shot by Juergen Teller.
Lauren Santo Domingo has partnered with Aslaug Magnusdottir (who hails from the old Gilt Group) on a new online venture to be launched this February during New York Fashion Week. Going by the name ‘Moda Operandi‘, their own M.O. is to delve into the untapped world of virtual trunk shows. For those who don’t know – in physical trunk shows, the ‘whos whos’ go to exclusive events to chat to designers and order pieces directly from them before all the ‘normal people’ see them in stores (I say that very lightly).
The difference by making it virtual is that Moda Operandi will have the clothes available for purchase within 48 hours of their runway shows which can then be secured for a 50% deposit and delivered in roughly four months. Of course, there will be a great return policy. Designers who have agreed to participate include Thakoon, Proenza Schouler, Prabal Gurung, Narciso Rodriguez, Vera Wang, Alexander Wang, and Giambattista Valli.
As exciting as this is, it could also be the death of sample sales.
Does anyone remember when Lauren Santo Domingo tweeted about shooting Coco Rocha and James Conran for a Vogue feature back in July? As it turns out, the project was a brand new adventure called “APT with LSD” and Coco has been honored as the owner of Apartment One. Model and husband opened their home to the magazine for a sneak peek at their decorative apartment and its memorable features.
It is a great shoot that captures her Rimmel heavy makeup wardrobe, a limited look at her custom designed closet, a piggy bank that looks like a YSL bag, a DIY project that originated from a street find, and details about Steven Meisel‘s wedding present for Coco – a portrait of the model – by the artist. Take a look! View Post