On this happiest of days – Galentine’s Day – I thought I’d give a little bit of love to those among us who have either forgotten or struggled with tomorrow’s annual heart-filled gift-giving.
Valentine’s Day isn’t particularly “my thing”, but I do love the idea of celebrating love of all kinds so thought I’d round up a few last-minute Valentine’s Day gifts that slay.
For your bae of any kind…tickets to Dirty Great Love Story
This Edinburgh Fringe First award-winning show is an alcohol-laden masterpiece exploring modern dating through two relatably hopeless romantics. Is not so much ‘romantic comedy’ as it is ‘romantic catastrophe’; bringing poetic light (and constant lolz) to inescapable familiarities of timing, tousles, and terrible choices.
I enjoyed every cringe-worthy moment (thanks to delicious performances from Felix Scott and Ayesha Antoine) and could not imagine there being a type of human who wouldn’t feel the same.
For the blossoming romance…EatFirst
The award-winning online restaurant EatFirst has developed an incredible Italian tasting menu together with top antipodean chef, Benn Hodges, inspired by sultry summers on the Amalfi coast and the island of love, Capri.
The menu (which prepares everything and simply needs to be heated when ready to share) includes:
– Buffalo Burrata antipasti (with heirloom tomatoes, black olives, creamy buffalo burrata, micro Italian basil and rocket dressed with extra virgin olive oil infused with vanilla, lemon zest, and basil), grilled rosemary & sea salt focaccia
– Duck Ragu Pappardelle Primi Paitta (Devonshire ducks marinated in red wine, carrot, celery, bay leaves & garlic, then scented with juniper berries and star anise. All is braised overnight with virgin Sicilian green olives and eventually served with handmade pappardelle pastafinished with parmesan, parsley and green olives)
– Squash Salad (Butternut squash marinated in thyme & garlic – seared and roasted – with endives and tomato jam)
– Flat Iron Steak Secondi Paitta (Aged flat iron steak marinated in pepper & ginger, chargrilled, and served pink with fresh baby spinach, sesame salad and a mix of pickled vegetables)
– Flourless Chocolate Cake Dolci (70% dark chocolate cake served paired with a light vanilla custard)
Wine pairings are available (Chateaux Fayau Bordeaux & Chablis Domain du Colombier), and all. Talk about easy, refined intimacy!
For someone super special…a vacation
Be it a weekend away, a staycation, or a stay at an RCI timeshare, I have always believed the best presents are experiential or travel related. Thankfully, Airbnb can hit pretty much any wanderlusting nail on the head and allow you to find comfort in your very own romantic home from home(if you haven’t used it, you can also get £30 in travel credit by following this special link!).
Think about somewhere your partner has expressed interest in and give them the surprise of their life!
For yourself…Calmia yoga roller
If we’re forced to celebrate love we might as well celebrate loving ourselves, right? While this gift would actually work for anyone (especially someone who’s partner isn’t often at home or has recently decided to part ways), you’ve got to get one for yourself. By simply shifting your body around the roller, you can de-stress your mind & body, reduce soreness, aid muscle recovery, and even prevent injury (tense muscles are injury trigger points!). It can provide the cheapest and longest massage of your life, tailored to perfection. What could be better than that?!